Villas and Historic Buildings
Villa Imperiale stands on the San Bartolo hill, a few minutes from the city, and towers over the Valle del Foglia with a panorama spanning far and wide over the hills of Pesaro. The first stone was laid by Emperor Frederick III of the House of Habsburgin 1468 (after whom it was named) but it was built in a period that spanned two centuries, becoming an example of interesting Italian artistic architecture. The building is an excellent example of the two architectural contexts and historic periods in which it was built. The fifteenth century part would appear to display the characteristics of the architecture applied in a fortress; instead, the second part commissioned by the Della Rovere family in 1530, features an architectural design enhanced by interior decorations. The villa is also complemented by a garden in typical Renaissance style. Villa Imperiale can be visited from June to September, every Wednesday, with an official guide and must be booked. A bus departs at 4pm from P.le della Libertà. An entrance fee is payable.
Villa Caprile is currently the location where students from the “A. Cecchi” Agricultural Studies High School carry out the practical part of their courses. During the summer season, cultural shows and events are held in the wooden theatre outdoors. The historic gardens of Villa Caprile, with their water features, can be visited from June to September, every day from 3pm to 7pm. An entrance fee is payable. The building dates back to 1640, when Marquis Giovanni Mosca decided to build a summer residence in the Caprile property. The presence of the complex layout of water features definitely dates back to before the extension carried out in the18th century; evidence of this can be found in the travel journal of Monsignor Lancini, sent by Pope Clement XI to the Duchy of Urbino.